Tuesday, December 21, 2010


Just in case you're following my build and don't know what Whistler is supposed to look like, or who he is, this is a picture of the action figure that was made of him. I'm relying on this for most of my information on what areas of him are different colors, but am using R2-D2 information for everything else, since these tiny figures aren't the most accurate. I was also looking at the photos on him Wookiepedia listing again last night, and there are such differences in different artists renditions that it's tough. If you'd like to read about him, or see other images, his listing is here.



Last night was the beginning of the monumental task of getting my droid's skins actually installed onto the frame. I used GE Premium Waterproof Silicone Kitchen/Bath/Plumbing Silicone II in clear to adhere the styrene skin to the wood frame. It, and actually my entire installation method was recommended to me by fellow builder Edwardo. A big THANK YOU to him! I couldn't find the recommended tape for while parts were drying but found one I thought would work. I got Scotch 3M Masking Tape #2060 for Hard-to-Stick Surfaces. I thought it was appropriate that it was actually green as well (the same color as the sit-n-spin for his dome). I also like that it has a 3 day clean removal rating and a very high (level 6) adhesion rating. I'll give a review of how well I like the tape after I've seen how well it did holding the skins down while the silicone set. (The package says it is shower ready in 3 hours, but I'm planning to give it about 24 before I try removing any of the tape and such.



The first step was giving a quick sanding to the back of the front inner skin to give the silicone something extra to adhere to, since styrene is so smooth. I lay the frame down on it's back, and then silicone was applied to the supports on the wood frame where the front skin fit. I place the skin over the proper openings, and starting from the center, lined it up and got it smooth against the frame. I had had the skins sitting dry wrapped on the frame for several days before I punched out the openings, and this may have helped it stay curved properly and not come up too much when I first laid it on. I secured all the edges or spots that looked like they needed help with the 3M tape, and ran my bungees around again across the major tabs to help keep them in place and everything stable. Wiped up any excess caulk, and it was time to wait. Always the hardest part! I put another coat of green on the arms to help get those smoothed out a little more, but other than that there is just waiting to do. I would love to be able to install my rear inner skin, but haven't received my back door yet, and have to wait on that so that I can get the door separated out of the skin properly to fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment