Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Last night I got some more sanding done on the dome. The Dremel got the majority of the Super Dome name ground out, but there is still a lot of work to do to get it nice and smooth. It is substantially better now, and with some light sanding with extremely high grit paper in the future, and several layers of paint, it should be looking good. I also spent some time sanding out the areas with bubbling or paint drips from the preliminary silver coat done on the lower portion of the dome. After taking so much paint off, I was really wanting to put some paint on somewhere too, so I finally pulled the final masking off the top from doing the silver spray, and hand painted in the first coat of green on the top of the dome and the only dome panel I had already lined out. The only hobby paint that I could find in the correct color is an air brush paint. I will have to compare it with the green metallic I used for my frame, but may decide to switch over and air brush paint with this one when it comes time for final coats later. Hand painting in the first coat allowed me to get some color on there, and I feel like I can run my masking just over the edge of the green that's already on there when I go to spray, so I won't get over-spray onto the silver portions. I also took the time to hand paint the one octo-port I have with the metallic green, and a coat of primer for the aluminum portion. This morning I did a 2nd coat of both, and think that after a 3rd coat of green it will look pretty good. I'm not completely happy with the port that I have... it is a resin piece I bought in a grouping from someone getting out of the hobby, and there are many small flaws on the outward facing side of it... I may try and actually get in there with a small bit on the Dremel and get some of it cleaned out. I saw the flaws before, but think they are much more apparent now that there is paint on them. So scratch the earlier comment about it being good. lol The paint will look good, but the piece itself, not so much. Most people probably wouldn't notice... but club members would, and I know the difference- which is what matters most to me.

After the painting work last night I did another test fit on my skins as well. I had done this once before after assembling the frame, but didn't take any pictures. This time I've bungeed the skins on, and just love looking at him, so I've left them there for now.



And what better place to store my dome than right up top?


Little Whistler with my big one!

No comments:

Post a Comment