Monday, December 6, 2010

Yesterday evening I took my whole frame apart and finally got it glued together! I used Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue Max. I am so glad I had clamps to help line up most of the major portions of the frame while it dried. Unfortunately there were a couple spots that didn't set as flush as I needed. So after letting the frame set for at least 24 hours I hit those high areas with the orbital sander tonight. I also have one frame piece that has been giving me trouble from the get go, that I left out when I constructed the frame. I plan on adding it in later (because of it's location this will be completely possible) but need to do some trimming on it to get it to sit properly into the notches of the vertical pieces.


Today I did more work on the frame, getting it sanded, and after a quick wipe down, primed in white (2 1/2 spray cans- luckily I had some left over form another project- used 2 kinds, and by far got the better coverage from the cheaper Ace store brand). I'm actually planning to paint up the frame in metallic green to match the accent color on the exterior of the droid. Interior color is not something that seems to be very important for the most part. I think it would be pretty cool to have it look like a metal frame inside when I remove the back door, and my kids insist that Whistler is green inside. So green "metal" frame against interior of white skins is looking like where we're headed. Hopefully it turns out as cool as it is in my head. (I have a couple test pieces of wood that I also primed tonight to test this out on first.)


(Primed frame with dome that is half primed, half silver coated (still requires sanding and touch up work on painted portion.)

No comments:

Post a Comment